Jump to content
  • Sign in to follow this  

    Saturday's Headlines

    Martinsville Daily


    A cold front arrived Friday afternoon bringing with it a thunderstorm, rain, and cloudy skies. Today we’ll enjoy a much cooler 77 degrees, but it won’t last long. Sunday will creep back up to 82. Monday we’ll have a high of 88, 90 on Tuesday and Wednesday and 91 Thursday and Friday. There is a chance of showers today, and after today the chance doesn’t return again until Wednesday. 

    A late Friday night fire damaged a home in southern Danville, officials report. The Danville Fire Department responded to 614 Franklin St. shortly before 11 p.m. to find heavy smoking coming from the single-story home, according to a news release. Crews were able to to put out the fire in about 10 minutes. The blaze caused moderate damage to the home. Two adults living in the house are staying with family. There were no injures. The cause remains under investigation, but appears to be accidental, the fire department reported.

    Latest number from the Virginia Employment Commission have Henry County still at 3.8 percent unemployment. Martinsville’s rate increased from 5.0 to 5.1 percent. Job figures show there are over 1,400 jobs currently available in the Martinsville and Henry County area. 

    No one was injured after a World War II-era plane ran off the runway at Smith Mountain Lake Airport on Thursday. Police were called about 4:45 p.m. after smoke billowed up above Buccaneer Road in Moneta, according to Tom Lovegrove, president of the Smith Mountain Lake Marine Volunteer Fire and Rescue Department. The plane’s pilot and owner, Daniel Allen Haug, of Culpeper, was trying to land and ran off the right side of the runway, according to Sgt. Rick Garletts of the Virginia State Police. The historic T-6 plane was damaged, Lovegrove said. Photos on social media showed the yellow, single-engine plane sticking out of a copse of trees. It was not the first time Haug has crashed. Last year, Haug and a passenger were sent to the hospital after Haug’s yellow T-6 crashed in Culpeper, according to media reports at the time.

    Nestle in Danville is facing state fines following an incident in January in which an employee got an arm caught in a machine. The Virginia Department of Labor and Industry fined Nestle $187,060 in June after a two-and-a-half-month inspection at the plant at 201 Airside Drive. According to the June 5 citation from the state, an employee’s arm was caught in a machine when the worker tried to clear material from around the conveyor. The state issued seven citations with fines totaling $187,060, with five deemed “serious” and another two “repeat-serious.”

    Virginia State police have identified the driver killed in a single-vehicle wreck on U.S. 58 Friday afternoon as 61-year-old Charlie Lewis Coleman of Danville. Police say Coleman was westbound when his 2000 Ford Ranger pickup truck ran off the left side of the roadway, traveled into the grassy median, then crossed the eastbound lanes of the South Boston Road before crashing into a brick pillar in the driveway of Milam Equipment Sales in Sutherlin. Ringgold Fire Chief Mile Neal said Coleman was the only occupant of the vehicle and died at the scene. It’s not known why he lost control of the pickup. State Police say Coleman was not wearing his seat belt.

    Mazda is recalling nearly 270,000 vehicles with Takata airbags that have the potential to explode. Chemicals used to inflate the air bags can deteriorate in some conditions, causing them to deploy with too much force, blowing apart a metal canister that can result in flying shrapnel. The potentially deadly defect can be found in passenger-side airbags on certain 2003-2008 Mazda6, 2006-2007 Mazdaspeed6 and 2004 MPV vehicles nationwide. It also involves 2005-2006 MPV models in certain states. Over the last several years, about 50 million air bag inflators have been recalled in the U.S., with 22 deaths and more than 180 injuries linked to the defect. Takata has since been bought by Chinese-owned U.S. mobility safety company Key Safety System.

    The game between Martinsville and Edenton was postponed last night due to the storms that were moving through the area. The Mustangs will take their 15 and 16 record to Edenton tonight. Martinsville is on the road for an extended 7-game road trip. They won’t play at Hooker Field again until Friday, July 13th. 

    Edited by Martinsville Daily

    Sign in to follow this  

    User Feedback

    Recommended Comments

    There are no comments to display.

    You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
    Add a comment...

    ×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

      Only 75 emoji are allowed.

    ×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

    ×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

    ×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Blog Entries

    • By Martinsville Daily in Bill Wyatt 1
      Our network programming for radio and television has been provided to us almost exclusively by means of C-band transmission. The transmissions originate from orbiting satellites at very low power, therefore, it takes a very large dish to receive these small signals for re-transmission. Over the past ten years, interference has become more prevalent at our satellite farm on Chatham Heights Road. Now it has reached the level where many of our receivers no longer are able to provide reliable service. For those of you interested in a more technical explanation, here is one source. 
      The source article points out the "services in large areas covering intercontinental and global communications provide a wide range of services for distance learning, telemedicine, universal access, disaster recovery, national security, air navigation and safety, e-government. We have been able to determine the interference we are receiving is sporadic (not constant), and very strong. The spurious emission splatters across almost the entire C-band spectrum, rendering filters useless. We have not been able to determine the source of this interference, despite concerted efforts to do so. We have been able to determine the signature produced would indicate it is a ground-to-ground transmission and not listed in any databases confirming its use. I have talked with a number of experts in this field and the consensus is we are likely the victim of some government use, be it national security or the like. Regardless, there is no viable solution to our problem, at least not one that restores reliable C-band reception.
      Fortunately, we have been able to restore most of our network programming services with an IP solution. In some instances, an IP solution doesn't exist, and in those cases we have had to provide alternate programming. thisTV Network provides no alternative to C-band at this time, and the interference has rendered this source no longer viable during daytime hours. For whatever reason, the interference only occurs during the daylight hours. Our C-band reception is unaffected during the overnight hours. 
      Until a solution is found, our programming of thisTV Network will be limited to midnight to 6 AM. Should the interference become present during the overnight hours, we will be left with no recourse, but to discontinue thisTV Network.   
      Bill Wyatt
    • By Martinsville Daily in Bill Wyatt 1
      This morning around 10 AM our audio line that feeds the transmitter at Koehler from our studios went dead. You may recall we experienced some damage during storms last month causing the top portion of a utility pole to break off and fall to the ground. This same pole feeds our transmitter building. The pole was replaced today, and apparently, the workers did not reconnect the line. We reported the problem and CenturyLink has indicated they would have someone out within 24 hours. Given their word, WHEE should return to the airwaves sometime tomorrow.

      New utility pole

      What used to be our smooth and level entrance way

      Partial damage from last month's storms

      The broken utility pole that was replaced