Sign in to follow this  
Solon

Trump's Mental Health

From the time he entered the primary, Trump's behavior has been under scrutiny. Because voters didn't really know much about him, despite his publicity-seeking history, many saw him as a forthright tell-it-like-it-is guy. As the campaign progressed it became clear that he was the biggest liar to walk the political stage in anyone's lifetime. Pundits chalked it up to a general over-the-top personality and his fans loved it. He was making promises left and right that sober politicians knew were ridiculous, but most Republicans will vote for anyone with an R before the name (Roy Moore, for example) and some down and out Democrats were suckers for the promises that turned to lies once he was in office.

By the time he had the nomination, concern was clearly evident that something was not right about this man. Psychologists were beginning to chafe at APA rules that prevented them from discussing Trump's clearly unstable personality disorder. Eventually some were so concerned that they openly discussed his narcissism, lack of compassion, and inability to relate to anyone else's circumstances.

Cut to his time as president and we have read often that his PDA is often in pictures because he doesn't read and he was bored with the discussion. His short attention span was massaged by putting his name often in whatever document he was required to peruse.

Today we know that he is semiliterate, ignorant of the most basic elements of government and the issues that face the nation, but believes that he is a genius who doesn't need to listen to anyone. The man is a "child" in the view of most of the White House staff who must have constant self-gratification or he becomes angry or sullen. He has begun repeating himself in the space of 10 minute periods up from a former 30 minutes and his commentary is all over the place, full of non-sequiturs and contradictions.

The man is mentally unstable. That wouldn't be a problem if he wasn't president of the United States. The minority of Americans who elected him president made a horrible mistake. The question remains what to do about it. Unfortunately, the Republican party is out to make the most of this chance to implement its greedy, self-serving agenda and will tolerate a dangerous, mentally-unfit ignoramus in the White House to do it. The safety of the nation be damned. 

In the past week alone, a new book resurfaced previously reported concerns among the president’s own advisers about his fitness for office, the question of his mental state came up at two White House briefings and the secretary of state was asked if Mr. Trump was mentally fit. After the president boasted that his “nuclear button” was bigger than Kim Jong-un’s in North Korea, Richard W. Painter, a former adviser to President George W. Bush, described the claim as proof that Mr. Trump is “psychologically unfit” and should have his powers transferred to Vice President Mike Pence under the Constitution’s 25th Amendment.

Mr. Trump’s self-absorption, impulsiveness, lack of empathy, obsessive focus on slights, tenuous grasp of facts and penchant for sometimes far-fetched conspiracy theories have generated endless op-ed columns, magazine articles, books, professional panel discussions and cable television speculation.

“The level of concern by the public is now enormous,” said Bandy X. Lee, a forensic psychiatrist at Yale School of Medicine and editor of “The Dangerous Case of Donald Trump: 27 Psychiatrists and Mental Health Experts Assess a President,” a book released last fall. “They’re telling us to speak more loudly and clearly and not to stop until something is done because they are terrified.”

Trump, Defending His Mental Fitness, Says He’s a ‘Very Stable Genius’

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/01/06/us/politics/trump-genius-mental-health.html?hp&action=click&pgtype=Homepage&clickSource=story-heading&module=first-column-region&region=top-news&WT.nav=top-news&_r=0

Today Trump topped his most ridiculous tweets by claiming that his accomplishments would qualify him as "not smart, but genius....and a very stable genius at that!” 

I am sure everyone can relax now that the "genius" has spoken.  :o

Im a lifelong Republican and a by the book conservative. Donald is not and I think his mental health is showing to be very weak as the weeks go by. I know some good real republicans are hiding and waiting for the chance to get him ushered out of office.

Thatd be a relief and I think Mike Pence would make a very good President! And if his poor mental health doesnt get ride of him I look forward to a Marco Rubio/Ted Cruz/John Kasich primary!

Trump is a joke. And a draft-dodging pussy. That is all for now.

I think Mike Pence is a terrible choice for president on virtually every domestic policy issue imaginable, BUT, I am more than ready for him to take office as president in view of the obvious disability of our current occupant. The 25th Amendment offers the most logical and efficient process. If a fraction of Fire and Fury is true--and much of this has already been reported from a variety of sources, the Cabinet should be prepared to pull the trigger now. It may seem prudent to wait until Trump commits some egregious error that has catastrophic consequences, but I would say that is an unfolding process rather than a bolt from the blue...and the more dangerous for it. 

I join RealConservative in calling for the elevation of Mike Pence NOW!

One man's version of crazy is another man's version of genius. I'm just glad Hillary is not president.

This is funny. Trump has been an odd-ball forever. Now we've got a thread questioning his mental health. Which, of course, is to say he's an odd-ball. If we're honest here, questioning someone's mental health because they are different is nothing more than condescending.

This is funny. Trump has been an odd-ball forever. Now we've got a thread questioning his mental health. Which, of course, is to say he's an odd-ball. If we're honest here, questioning someone's mental health because they are different is nothing more than condescending.

I don't know that we've had a president this "different" in a while. Definitely not in my lifetime.

Screen%20Shot%202018-01-08%20at%2012.07.44%20AM_zpsons95yhl.png

Im a lifelong Republican and a by the book conservative. Donald is not and I think his mental health is showing to be very weak as the weeks go by. I know some good real republicans are hiding and waiting for the chance to get him ushered out of office.

Thatd be a relief and I think Mike Pence would make a very good President! And if his poor mental health doesnt get ride of him I look forward to a Marco Rubio/Ted Cruz/John Kasich primary!

Word Association(For Me). Mike Pence = Carrier(Air Conditioners).

$7 Million dollars. Still move plants to Mexico. Crony Capitalism.

Odd-ball? You really think Trump is just an odd-ball? You did actually observe him blatantly lie repeatedly about events on which he could easily be fact-checked, didn't you? And that is just the beginning of his incapacity.

It's so ridiculous a defense of Trump it's hilarious. Thanks, for the laugh.

Word Association(For Me). Mike Pence = Carrier(Air Conditioners).

$7 Million dollars. Still move plants to Mexico. Crony Capitalism.

Solution: Export Mike Pence to Mexico; replace him with Empty Suit. Implement 25th Amendment. Make Empty Suit the President of the United States. Nation saved.

Just wondering..

If you bounce an odd-ball, does it respond like a normal ball or does it bounce in the wrong direction? Reminds me of a basketball with a knot in it. You start a drive to the basket and the ball bounces in the wrong direction and ends up in the stands. Kind of like Donald Trump. He starts talking about the fallen heroes at the CIA and ends up talking about the crowd size at his inauguration. The ball just bounced on that knot and...well...who knows where it will land.

Suppose you are in the middle of a game...make it a really important game. Your odd-ball with the knot in it keeps screwing everything up. No one can shoot with it; it has this crazy spin that makes it curve crazily out of bounds on a shot from the deep corner. A three ball is impossible. Passes whiz in unpredictable directions. One guy got a broken nose on a hard pass inside. What do you do with an odd-ball that creates that kind of disruption, that is destroying the game, that is creating a danger to the players. YOU GET RID OF IT!

Yeah, that's what you do with an odd-ball. You replace it with one that can actually function.

LOL. Well I am reading The Forgotten Holocaust: The Poles Under German Occupation, 1939-1944. It doesn't lighten one's mood. But the idea of Trump as just an odd-ball has given me a lot to laugh about.

I understand now. That has to be a serious book. I have to admit that a non politician as president is unique - which I guess is another word for odd. LOL!

I'm sticking with my character description of Trump as an "odd-ball." That's what I called him before he ran for president and while he was running. If there's anything more I can think to say about it, it's that he's consistently odd.

The laugh to me is why you would call me out for "defending" Trump when I'm criticizing him for being odd.

I'm sticking with my character description of Trump as an "odd-ball." That's what I called him before he ran for president and while he was running. If there's anything more I can think to say about it, it's that he's consistently odd.

The laugh to me is why you would call me out for "defending" Trump when I'm criticizing him for being odd.

"Odd" doesn't necessarily have a negative meaning. If normal is bad(which in at least the the last 20 years i would say could be the case), odd could be good.

Sorry, but we are talking about the mental incapacity of the president. We are told that he has difficulty understanding cause and effect relationships; the he demands immediate gratification; that he binges on TV while ignoring any and all policy details; that he doesn't read anything period, that he repeats himself every ten minutes, that he makes up his own reality which frequently does not reflect the factual world. "Odd" just doesn't quite capture it.

Now, you could probably say that Pence is "odd" because he will not allow himself to be alone with a woman, other than his immediate family, or so we are told. Although that could become fashionable in the #Me Too era.  Still, there just seems to be this huge definitional (sic) gap between the two "odds."

I spent seven years of my recent life monitoring, assisting, and managing the affairs of two people who were in a state of mental decline from independence to full on dementia. That ended a year and a half ago. It's not pretty and it's irreversible. If the president is suffering this decline--and there is considerable evidence that he is--he is a danger to the world and he needs better care than he is getting. Right now, he needs somebody to level with him. 

Solon - you must remember you are getting your information from Trump haters.

The lengths people will go to discredit people or parties with differing and opposite opinions amazes me.

The lengths some people will go to deny reality amazes me. You have completely missed the boat on this. I am talking about replacing Trump with Mike Pence. I can't imagine anything worse from a political perspective.

Solon - you must remember you are getting your information from Trump haters.

No, we are not, Steven. The information is coming from Trump's own advisers. These are the people quoted on the record in Fire and Fury and off the record in the Washington Post, New York Times, Wall Street Journal, etc. 

Yeah, well. The truth stings some times!

Has anyone gotten the book yet?

I have 2 on my docket to finish before I buy another book. I'm currently on "Bobby Kennedy: A Raging Spirit" by Chris Matthews. Its an amazing read!

The lengths people will go to discredit people or parties with differing and opposite opinions amazes me.

The lengths some people will go to deny reality amazes me. You have completely missed the boat on this. I am talking about replacing Trump with Mike Pence. I can't imagine anything worse from a political perspective.

Solon, looks like to me we both adequately accept reality. What you see and what I see as reality are purely our own personal perceptions. What you are saying here is that if I don't agree with how you see it, then I'm denying how it really is. That's condescending. I'm entitled to my own opinion of how I see things just as you or anyone else here. If a President doesn't behave the way you think he should, then he has mental health issues. If a poster doesn't agree with you then they deny reality. Good grief.

I know very well what you are talking about, and I believe we are on a sailboat of your making. For some reason you keep rowing against the wind. It might be good exercise, but it doesn't change much.