Sign in to follow this  
Martinsville Daily

MoviePass

I just recently signed up. They send you a mastercard to purchase the tickets (I received mine in about 4 days). The process requires you to choose your movie through the app on your phone (you must be within 100 yards of the theater you choose), then it activates the card to make the purchase. So far it's worked perfectly. One week into my first month and it's already saved me over $40.

The mastercard is their work-around to keep the theaters from not allowing their service. The rest of their loss on the movie tickets is supplemented by sales of the data they get from which movies people are seeing. I'm game if it saves me from paying full ticket price.

Pretty incredible service!

I just recently signed up. They send you a mastercard to purchase the tickets (I received mine in about 4 days). The process requires you to choose your movie through the app on your phone (you must be within 100 yards of the theater you choose), then it activates the card to make the purchase. So far it's worked perfectly. One week into my first month and it's already saved me over $40.

The mastercard is their work-around to keep the theaters from not allowing their service. The rest of their loss on the movie tickets is supplemented by sales of the data they get from which movies people are seeing. I'm game if it saves me from paying full ticket price.

Pretty incredible service!

So you've seen 4 movies? Not to hijack the thread topic, but which ones did you see?

So you've seen 4 movies? Not to hijack the thread topic, but which ones did you see?

I believe you already noticed, but I mentioned them in the recently watched thread.  :)

Even around here, a trip to Danville once or twice a month would make moviepass worth it. From what you're saying, I couldn't get my ticket at home and then go. I'd have to drive to the theater and then purchase it from there?

I bought a couple as christmas presents. I'll let you know the reviews as they come in. One activated their membership today.

Quite frankly, I quite going to the movies for two reasons

1) It got too expensive.

2) It got much easier to watch movies at home.

Moviepass does away with the first objection, and I must say, the idea of going out once in awhile to see a movie again is appealing. Although the Danville theater is my choice, the last couple of times I was there the volume was so low you could barely hear it.

Quite frankly, I quite going to the movies for two reasons

1) It got too expensive.

2) It got much easier to watch movies at home.

Moviepass does away with the first objection, and I must say, the idea of going out once in awhile to see a movie again is appealing. Although the Danville theater is my choice, the last couple of times I was there the volume was so low you could barely hear it.

I like having date night where my wife and I can go out to a nice dinner and see a movie. Any reason to get out of the house, ya know! But having said that, TVs are so enjoyable and upscale now that waiting to see a movie when it comes out on disc ain't so bad. If I ever become rich, I am building a theater room, complete with 100+ screen, stadium seating, etc....

just did 1 at hollywood. once you get to the door, you check in on your phone and it loads the money to your card. pretty simple and straight forward. we were actually a little late so the movie we wanted to see had already started. it wasn't available as a listed showtime. if you want to go in a smidge late to a movie, just click another movie with a similar showtime. worked like a charm.

So where were you when you bought the movie, LP?

I had to go all the way to the door at hollywood cinema before it would allow me to check in on my phone. Then you just use the debit card they give you and BOOM - movie paid for

I wonder what the purpose of requiring you to be at the theater first before buying the ticket.

my guess would be they compile a profile about you so they can sell the date to movie company's. I'm willing to give up some privacy for the lower cost.

I wonder what the purpose of requiring you to be at the theater first before buying the ticket.

my guess would be they compile a profile about you so they can sell the date to movie company's. I'm willing to give up some privacy for the lower cost.

I'm the same way Lp, but did you read the article at the link I posted. Rules say you promise to stay for the entire movie too. Plenty of folks are already calling this a failed effort. I hope it isn't.

I'm the same way Lp, but did you read the article at the link I posted. Rules say you promise to stay for the entire movie too. Plenty of folks are already calling this a failed effort. I hope it isn't.

I've maybe been to 1 AMC theater in my entire life and it was in FL.

I realize that... or at least I imagined AMC theaters would not create any issues with theater goers here locally, but they are the 2nd largest movie theater chain in the country and 1 out of every 8 screens in North America are owned by them. If this is any indication of the direction this novel idea is going you can bet it will be over soon enough.

I realize that... or at least I imagined AMC theaters would not create any issues with theater goers here locally, but they are the 2nd largest movie theater chain in the country and 1 out of every 8 screens in North America are owned by them. If this is any indication of the direction this novel idea is going you can bet it will be over soon enough.

Yes I'll be watching to see what happens. This would really be a good deal for ppl who have kids out of school in the summer.

Shhh.... don't tell them but I checked in with one movie the other day and decided at the last minute to use it for another.