Sign in to follow this  
Solon

College Basketball 2017-2018

The Duke Blue Devils picked up the No. 1 college recruit today. Marvin Bagley III played in California last year and interviewed at UCLA, USC, and Duke. He is likely to spend a year at Durham and be the No. 1 NBA pick in 2018. The expectations are out the roof for him and the team in the coming season.

Duke Coach Mike Krzyzewski has now landed five top-100 recruits, including three other five-star prospects in Trevon Duval, Wendell Carter and Gary Trent Jr. With Grayson Allen returning for his senior season, the Blue Devils are the favorites to win the national title next year, which would be Krzyzewski’s sixth. It’s the second year in a row and third in the past four that he has brought in the nation’s top recruit, following Jahlil Okafor (2014) and Harry Giles (2016).

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/early-lead/wp/2017/08/15/top-recruit-marvin-bagley-iii-picks-duke-and-intends-to-play-in-2017/?hpid=hp_no-name_hp-in-the-news%3Apage%2Fin-the-news&utm_term=.07702ad17fe6

Coach K continues to show he's the class of the field. This brings up an issue I've had over the years- how do you feel about the 1-and-done players?

Coach K is awesome.  As to your question- if I had that kind of talent it would be hard not to take the money. You could get injured the next year and your career is over.

Yeah, youre right about that one. Actually, youre right about both of those. I swear after Coach K retires they should rename is Championship trophy from the John Wooden to the Mike Krzyzewski trophy.

When it comes to ACC basketball - I am an oddity. I like Duke AND the Tarheels. I grew up watching Dean Smith and all of those great players - but Coach K is unreal with what he has and will accomplish. I was also a big fan of Jim Valvano. I guess I'm just an old time ACC fan.

Yeah bud. While I am a Hokie alum I still respect our conference and believe that the ACC is the top dog in college hoops. The best coaches of all time and some of the best players to play in college and then onto the pros.

Come tournament time, even if Duke or UNC isn't a #1 seeded they are always a threat.

Tonight at the Champion's Classic on ESPN...

No. 1 Duke beat No. 2 Michigan State. 88-81. Grayson Allen put on a show with 37 points. He was 7 of 11 from downtown. Bagley sat out the second half with an eye injury.

No. 4 Kansas beat No. 7 Kentucky 65-61. It was a not a polished performance for either team. I would say experience won. The big guys are still a little herky jerky for Kentucky. That's what you get with 5 freshmen on the floor at the beginning of the season. They are still in adolescence physically.

Time to bump this thread up.  Conference play is about to go full bore. Right now duke is in last place of the ACC after falling to a hot shooting Boston College team over the weekend. Should be another exciting season, with Duke, Notre Dame, UNC, FSU, UVA and Miami all looking good at this point.

who do ya'll like?....let me guess, Duke, right

GO HEELS!!!!

And Virginia Tech is leading the conference in overall scoring and receiving votes for the Top 25.

Big...BIG game at Kentucky this Saturday. Hoping my hopes can pull that one out, but thats a big mountain to climb. Should be a great challenged before beginning ACC conference play.

GO HOKIES!

The Hokies have been unreal on offense this year. They've been rolling in NBA game scores on a NCAA score clock. Just unbelievable. That said, I keep looking back at that game against St. Louis, when the Hokies got beat by 6 points and were held to 71. Still a decent offense putout. I watched St. Louis play their next 3 games and lose every one of them. Not a very impressive team IMO. Travis Ford (St. Louis Coach) said he just noticed he had never seen a team in his live shoot as many layups in a game as the Hokies, so they went in the game with one mission - guard the paint and shut down the lane. Game over. That's what Kentucky is going to do Saturday - watch and see. "The Buzz" better have an answer for it this time or it will be the Hokies Achilles heal for sure. AND - I have no doubt he will have an answer. Definitely a must-watch game for me.

Yeah, those are all great points!

I think Kentucky takes this one but it will be interesting to see how the team stacks up as the underdog AND what they can learn moving foward. The Wildcats run their offense a lot like the Tarheels so thatll be good prep.

Tech played Kentucky like they could win it pretty much the entire game. I don't think anyone was surprised by Kentucky winning, but give it to the Hokies. They have come a long way under Coach Buzz.

Playing in a hostile environment, North Carolina trailed No. 20 Tennessee  most of the game, but showed real grit to win at the end. It was fun to watch.

Tech played Kentucky like they could win it pretty much the entire game. I don't think anyone was surprised by Kentucky winning, but give it to the Hokies. They have come a long way under Coach Buzz.

Yes indeed, Mr. Blue Fish. It a close game but in the 2nd half our 3-point shooters ran out of luck and we started racking up the fouls. Despite the loss I think it shows how bright the progress, and the future, is under Coach Buzz.

I agree. You know the UVA / Va Tech matchup is just 11 days away. I give the advantage to the Hoos, but it's going to be a very interesting game - especially with Tech's emphasis on offense this year and Bennett's style of "pack it in and slow it down.

UVa should be the favorite, and with good reason. Should be a good game dictated by clock management and "slow it down" mantra to keep the Hokie fast breaks and 3-point shooting game limited.

Attended the BC-UVA game this afternoon. Good game, Hoos were sloppy and the refs made some really bad calls. UVA will need to pick up their game as their next opponent is Va. tech next week.

Virginia Tech continues to nearly fall apart under a good zone defense. (Syracuse case in point). I'm looking for a low scoring affair and the Hoos the lock the zone in from the tip and camp out. The most exciting part of this game will be to see what Buzz can come up with to counter what's become the Hokie's Achilles heal so far. Advantage in my mind still goes to UVA.

bennett.jpg

Hoping our boys learned from the Cuse game and can make it down the stretch with the hoos. I think this is a close one but my early prediction is falling in the last 3 minutes, as a victim of well-played clock management by Tony's boys and not being able to run the ball to catch up in the end.

Not close, not even a match. Tony and the boys came to Blacksburg, put boots on the ground scored a 3 in the first few seconds and never looked back. I'm telling ya' Buzz is going to have to learn his younguns how to play a slow zone. He's exposed now and everyone will work the Hokies this way for the rest of the season. They will have to learn to overcome this or will fall away quickly now that the ACC matchups have started. Don't won't this to happen - just stating the obvious truth.

Well, 2 things are obvious:

1- Hokies aren't as good as we were last year

2- UVa isn't as good as they were last year. They are better.

That was a whooping. Congrats yall!

Tar Heels travel to Whooville tomorrow after losing a tough one in Tallahassee wed. night. They better lace 'em up tight for this one, life on the road in the ACC is tough.