Sign in to follow this  
superman

NFL 2017 Season

Training camps for the 2017 NFL season get underway in three weeks. My team, the New York Giants, look to improve on their 11-5 2016 season record. On offense they added WR Brandon Marshall but did little to improve the offensive line, which at times was very offensive last year as the Giants had no ground game and QB Eli Manning had little time to throw the ball.  On defense, the Giants return most of the starting lineup from last year, which as a unit performed great. New York opens the regular season at Dallas.

Brandon Marshall gives Eli 2 high quality receiving targets from the get go! A close buddy of mine is a die-hard Giants/Rangers fan, and hosts a Fox Sports radio show. I get to hear the grit and grime. And its going to be vital for Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie to stay healthy, as he's a playmaker and with him out last year in the wild card game Aaron Rodgers was able to shread through that secondary.

Taking a tight end in the 1st round was a good call. Between OJ Howard and Evan Engram there were 2 good options for high caliber TEs that could block and pass, and Engram should fit in well with Giants offense.

My Redskins have greatly improved the defense over the offseason, so I'm eagerly awaiting to see how that pans out. I hated that we cut Garcon and Jackson loose, but I am just fine with Pryor, and Doctson is healthy this year. Along with Reed and Jamison, I have no worries about our wide receivers. Running back will be interesting. Pedine looked like a beast in college, but I'm hearing that he's slow to catch on during the mandatory training days back in June, so we'll see how that works out. Fat Rob will still be the main feature back.

Should be a very competitive NFC East this year.

No offense- I think the Skins will be lucky to go out of the cellar in the NFC East. They've fired the GM, lost the deep threat of Desean Jackson, lost Pierre Garcon who was the most efficient pass catcher on the squad, not signing a veteran linebacker, and fumbling again with the franchise tag on Kirk Cousins are amongst the biggest ills. They let some of their MOST talented players walk away. Then overpaid for a converted college quarterback who played wideout for the Browns.

The Cowboys and the Giants are going to be an interesting battle for the top of the NFC East. Skins and Eagles will scrap to see who can get a higher draft pick next year

No offense- I think the Skins will be lucky to go out of the cellar in the NFC East. They've fired the GM, lost the deep threat of Desean Jackson, lost Pierre Garcon who was the most efficient pass catcher on the squad, not signing a veteran linebacker, and fumbling again with the franchise tag on Kirk Cousins are amongst the biggest ills. They let some of their MOST talented players walk away. Then overpaid for a converted college quarterback who played wideout for the Browns.

The Cowboys and the Giants are going to be an interesting battle for the top of the NFC East. Skins and Eagles will scrap to see who can get a higher draft pick next year

I would expect a Giants or Cowboys fan to think this way. You're going to be in for a rude awakening.

I think the Redskins will finish 3rd, besting the Eagles but 1 game.

But I do hope Deangelo Hall and Kendall Fuller make the Pro Bowl, and that Vinston Painter gets to make the rull roster!

Go Phins!

What do you think about Miami's chances this year? They were strong last season. Ryan Tannehill and Ajayi were bright, and if they can stay health and dish it out again the Phins got a good shot to go back to the playoffs.

And look for Isaiah Ford to make a splash for 'Rookie of the Year'  ;)

I think the Redskins will finish 3rd, besting the Eagles but 1 game.

But I do hope Deangelo Hall and Kendall Fuller make the Pro Bowl, and that Vinston Painter gets to make the rull roster!

I think the Redskins are going to be a lot better than what people are thinking. Yes, there was drama concerning Scot McCloughan, yes the 'skins fired their DC and half of the defensive coaches (they needed to), and yes, they got rid of Jackson and Garcon. And yes, so far, Cousins hasn't signed (the deadline approaching but still time.)

Having said that, they return a much younger, healthier squad to the field this year, behind a QB who's entering his third full season as the starter, plenty of depth at RB, very young and talented at WR, a lot added to the defense on one year prove it deals, etc. There's been reports during OTAs that the squad has had their best, most crisp practices that they have ever had in years, and the new defensive coaches are doing a great job with teaching technique, placing the players in the right spots, etc.. a lot of good things coming out of OTAs, free agency, and the draft.

Meanwhile, Dallas has lost defensive players, have a lot of defensive players suspended. There are big question marks on that side of the ball. I expect the offensive side of the ball to be just fine, so as long as Zeke doesn't get himself suspended. As far as the Giants, they'll either be between 11-5 or 8-8. I expect them to have improved, as well as the Eagles. In fact, I believe the entire NFC East is going to be neck in neck, so it's quite possible that the distance between first place and last place is a matter of a couple games.

For Dallas, I'm hesitant that Ezekiel Elliott can run through, around, and inside-and-out of the entire league again in his sophomore season. The NFC East will be a wild rodeo for sure!

But I maintain that the Giants are my pick to with it by a nose. They've got proven depth and their signing of Brandon Marshall gives Eli the best weapons at receiving in the division.

For Dallas, I'm hesitant that Ezekiel Elliott can run through, around, and inside-and-out of the entire league again in his sophomore season. The NFC East will be a wild rodeo for sure!

But I maintain that the Giants are my pick to with it by a nose. They've got proven depth and their signing of Brandon Marshall gives Eli the best weapons at receiving in the division.

We'll see. Eli is still Eli. Often the Giants lose because he throws an untimely INT. At the same time, Eli has been the reason why they have two SB rings.

We'll see. Eli is still Eli. Often the Giants lose because he throws an untimely INT. At the same time, Eli has been the reason why they have two SB rings.

Youre right on that one- Eli is consistent as gravy. Either he's on fire, or he's overly salty and diluted. I just think with Brandon Marshall coming onboard they'll have a great 2nd target after Odell and better YAC. That will pad his stats for those ill-timed throws he's prone to make.

Go Phins!

What do you think about Miami's chances this year? They were strong last season. Ryan Tannehill and Ajayi were bright, and if they can stay health and dish it out again the Phins got a good shot to go back to the playoffs.

And look for Isaiah Ford to make a splash for 'Rookie of the Year'  ;)

We improved greatly last year even making the playoffs,and would have went deeper if not for injuries,mainly to QB1 but I am hoping for us to improve more this year.I really like our coach.

Uhhh.... 2016 Redskins did NOT make the playoffs, but were close. Skins took the Eagles to the woodshed and I'll think that rivalry will be close again this year. Kirk Cousins is a good football player; leagues better than RG3. Hope yall can get the contract thing settled so he can be locked down for years and feel at home running the Redskins offense. Cousins is a good guy all around.

I but I'm sure you'll agree that that tie was the LAST tie I want to ever seen in football.

Uhhh.... 2016 Redskins did NOT make the playoffs, but were close. Skins took the Eagles to the woodshed and I'll think that rivalry will be close again this year. Kirk Cousins is a good football player; leagues better than RG3. Hope yall can get the contract thing settled so he can be locked down for years and feel at home running the Redskins offense. Cousins is a good guy all around.

I but I'm sure you'll agree that that tie was the LAST tie I want to ever seen in football.

Cousins doesn't appear as if he's going to sign a LTD, but said that both he and the team are open to working out a deal by the end of this season. We'll see. Honestly, there's just as much reason not to sign him to a LTD as there is to signing him long term. He's clearly the best QB the 'skins have had in a long time, yet, he hasn't proven that he can be elite and in big games, he doesn't show up. Let's see what he does this year.

I've been a Redskins fan since the 70's. And we suffer from poor ownership. Plain and simple. Cousins is good to play but it boggles my mind that Dan Synder and Bruce Allen just doesnt sign him, get him excited for the season, and build AROUND him! Get him some guys to throw the ball to, get him some big hog mollies to stand in front of him to make sure he doesnt get the snot knocked out of him.

It aint like he doesn't have the money to dive into free agency and then trade around!

I've been a Redskins fan since the 70's. And we suffer from poor ownership. Plain and simple. Cousins is good to play but it boggles my mind that Dan Synder and Bruce Allen just doesnt sign him, get him excited for the season, and build AROUND him! Get him some guys to throw the ball to, get him some big hog mollies to stand in front of him to make sure he doesnt get the snot knocked out of him.

It aint like he doesn't have the money to dive into free agency and then trade around!

Apparently Bruce Allen released a statement yesterday saying they did offer Cousins a contract back on May 2nd, which would have made him the second highest paid quarterback in the league, but Cousins' agent never responded back to that offer. Basically trying to make the Cousins camp look like the bad guys. Allen can't seem to get it through his head that Cousins has all the leverage, and will go where he's wanted. Next year, Kyle Shanahan and John Lynch will make it be known they want Cousins in San Fran, and he'll sign there. If that happens, Bruce Allen should be fired. However, I bet Bruce Allen is just doing what Dan Snyder really wants. It has to make Snyder sick at the fact that his first round draft pick, RGIII, is no longer in the NFL, and Mike Shanahan's pick, Kirk Cousins, is starting for the Redskins, playing well, and in a position where he can become the highest paid QB in the league come next year. It eats at Snyder knowing Shanahan was absolutely right.

So the moral of the story is, Dan Snyder is always going to be the man to blame. Bruce Allen is just an extension of Dan Snyder.

Skinsguy-

Your boys are in town (Richmond) and I feel bad for them. The Tobacco Company, the usual social bar for the Skins players while in town for camp, caught a massive fire and will be out of commission for 6 months. If I weren't proud Richmonder and fan of the amazing local food scene I would make a Redskins related joke about the coincidence but I'll rise about it.

On a serious note, though, from the reports Terrelle Pryor is looking like he's gonna fill in nicely with the departure of the 2 big guns from last year!

Skinsguy-

Your boys are in town (Richmond) and I feel bad for them. The Tobacco Company, the usual social bar for the Skins players while in town for camp, caught a massive fire and will be out of commission for 6 months. If I weren't proud Richmonder and fan of the amazing local food scene I would make a Redskins related joke about the coincidence but I'll rise about it.

On a serious note, though, from the reports Terrelle Pryor is looking like he's gonna fill in nicely with the departure of the 2 big guns from last year!

Yeah, I've heard a lot of great things about Pryor from camp so far. I think he's going to be a good one. I've also heard a lot of great things about Josh Doctson in camp as well. I think we're OK at wide receiver. Running back will be an interesting competition.

redskins will be 7 and 9,9 and 7 with a few breaks.if they do not  make the playoffs,they should give doug williams allen,s job and let him decide whether or not to let gruden stay.he has peaked as a coach.if he gets fired,they should go after jim harbaugh.

I think I saw the Skins signed another running back off free agency this morning, or something?

Yall have quite the JV backfield for sure!

Marshall tore his knee up and out for the season. He didn't play last year because of injury as well. I wouldn't say JV. You might need to see some highlight films of Samaje Perine. He's going to be a pretty powerful back to contend with. Rob Kelly was quite serviceable last year, and Chris Thompson is an excellent third down back.

redskins will be 7 and 9,9 and 7 with a few breaks.if they do not  make the playoffs,they should give doug williams allen,s job and let him decide whether or not to let gruden stay.he has peaked as a coach.if he gets fired,they should go after jim harbaugh.

Has peaked as a coach? LOL! I think Gruden has done a pretty good job myself. I don't think he's peaked, because he hasn't had a defense nor a decent defensive coordinator since he's been in Washington. This will be the year the rubber meets the road though. He has an improved defense, and a better defensive staff, so I expect the defense to be much improved over the last couple of seasons. The tale-tale sign will be how well Gruden can call plays. McVay was calling the plays the last couple of years, so we'll see if Gruden can handle the stress of being the main playcaller and being the head coach as well.

Barring any major injuries, I suspect the 'skins can easily win 9 or more games this year. They won 8 last year without a decent defense.

NFL starts tonight with the HOF game between the Cowboys and the Cardinals.I just hope they don't screw up the turf this year like they did last year with the wrong paint! lol