Sign in to follow this  
RealConservative

2017 College Football Season

Its almost that time of you. Spring football is heating up and D1 schools will be backing their Spring Games over the next month or so.

Does Clemson, or the ACC, repeat? Alabama has to be a heavy favorite. What are yalls thoughts on the upcoming college football season and our schools here in Virginia?

Clemson doesn't repeat as national champs. I wouldnt go so far to say they don't repeat as ACC Champs, though. I think Alabama and Ohio State are 2 of the favorites, and I'd put Oklahoma and USC in the mix as well.

The ACC conference is very unpredictable right now. Maybe the picture will be a big clearer after the Spring games.

I've give it a shot. My final ACC Standings for 2017:

ACC Atlantic

Louisville

Florida State

Clemson

NC State

Wake Forest

Boston College

Syracuse

ACC Coastal

Miami & Virginia Tech (Tie)

North Carolina

Georgia Tech

Pittsburgh

UVA & Duke (Tie)

Conference Champion Game: Louisville

Spring football is my main focus right now, and the NHL playoffs. Not so much as my squad failed to make playoffs for the first time in my adult life.

I've tried to get back into baseball, its just too slow on TV! Thats just me. I sure loved it when the Braves had that DYNAMIC bullpen: Tom Glavine, John Smoltz, and Greg Maddux.

Spring football is my main focus right now, and the NHL playoffs. Not so much as my squad failed to make playoffs for the first time in my adult life.

I've tried to get back into baseball, its just too slow on TV! Thats just me. I sure loved it when the Braves had that DYNAMIC bullpen: Tom Glavine, John Smoltz, and Greg Maddux.

braves are pretty much pathetic now.

spring football is a joke.the only reason they have it is to keep the players in shape.

Spring football is great. You get to see what you have in the talent-cabinet after the Seniors last seasong to get ready for fall. Virginia Tech had some early enrollees so we got to see some dynamic new talent who could play as true-freshman this year. Now, no more practice. Just lifting weights, studying playbooks, text books, and coaching scheming to get ready for the last week of Summer.

And honestly, as an alum and fan.... the Spring Game is "tailgate practice"!

i look for the tide to keep rolling this year.saban,s ego caused them the title last year,should have let kiffin coached the last guy,not the bum from usc who is now the atlanta falcons oc.

Clemson's matra BYOG (Bring Your Own Guts) got them that win.    They've lost a few big playmakers from last years so we'll see how they fare on getting back to the ACCCG.

I can't wait to see what they bring to Blacksburg in the Fall!

Just looking at your predictions again CS and you pick Tech on top and the Hoos on the bottom. Fair prediction, but I'm hoping UVA sees some sunshine this season. Dark clouds have been around too long for that program.

Eventually they will bounce back, but their schedule isn't very easy.

They open with William & Mary, which should be a win but after starting last year with a L to Richmond it may be closer than expected. But a win nonetheless.

Indiana would be a neck-and-neck game, and then they get a rematch with Uconn after the loss last year. Uconn was pathetic last season and they don't get much better. Should be a W for the ACC school

Then they go to the "Smurf Turn" at Boise State. That will be touch to compete with. A sure L coming from that trip.

The ACC schedule isn't going to be forgiving either this year. They play Louisville, at Pitt, at UNC, and at Miami. They get Virginia Tech at home but their atmosphere is easy for the Hokies. Not a hostile road crowd anymore. And UVA has a LOT of making up to do from last years 52 - 10 loss in Blacksburg to even make this one a respectable lost.

I predict at 3-9 at worst, and 4-8 at best for the wahoos.

Part of me cant believe that all these media outlets are predicting Miami to win the ACC. Its becoming the annual standard for sports reporters based on their talent and their history winning titles. Except...by mid-season they falter, players attitudes flare up, arrests, disrespect for coaching and fans, etc. The sports media still loves on the U.

I will say this though- Miami IS undefeated in ACC Champion Games!

Part of me cant believe that all these media outlets are predicting Miami to win the ACC. Its becoming the annual standard for sports reporters based on their talent and their history winning titles. Except...by mid-season they falter, players attitudes flare up, arrests, disrespect for coaching and fans, etc. The sports media still loves on the U.

I chuckled on that one. Thats because Miami hasn't gone to the ACC title game yet!

I'm hoping my Deacons are going bowling again this year. Dave Clawson has a good thing going and I'm happy with the crowds we are pulling in now. Got a pretty easy schedule this season.

I chuckled on that one. Thats because Miami hasn't gone to the ACC title game yet!

I'm hoping my Deacons are going bowling again this year. Dave Clawson has a good thing going and I'm happy with the crowds we are pulling in now. Got a pretty easy schedule this season.

Going to be a competitive year in the ACC. The conference continues to grow and contend with the SEC.

I won't remark about the last game I saw the Hokies play in Winston-Salem. But after back-to-back 3-9 seasons there wasn't much place to go but up for the season since Clawson took over.

That's spot on about Miami though!

ACC Media Day was yesterday. Some interesting tid bits from the discussion.

Staying true to home and the ACC division that's represented in our state: Duke's Daniel Jones and Virginia's Kurt Benkert are the only Coastal Division starting quarterbacks returning from last year. I saw nothing impressive about UVA's QB, or the whole team, at all last year. But Daniel Jones gave Virginia Tech fits, as that kid can play hard and tough. The Hokies graduated and lost some of the best offensive players in the ACC, but the defense comes back loaded up with talent. And defense wins games!

The ACC is contending to come off a 2016 season that saw the conference at #1 of the Power 5 conferences. Clemson won that national title and Lamar Jackson of Louisville won the Heisman Trophy. What are the odds that the ACC will maintain its spot at the top?

And looking at the schedule can Lamar Jackson play enough to be in the Heisman race again? A lot of talk on these 2 topics was that Louisville only has 4 returning starters on offense. Jackson will have to groom some new talent to keep those stats up.

And Clemson has graduated some of its best talent from the Championship squad. Deshaun Watson at QB, Mike Williams at WR and captain Ben Boulware at linebacker.

ACC Media Day was yesterday. Some interesting tid bits from the discussion.

Staying true to home and the ACC division that's represented in our state: Duke's Daniel Jones and Virginia's Kurt Benkert are the only Coastal Division starting quarterbacks returning from last year. I saw nothing impressive about UVA's QB, or the whole team, at all last year. But Daniel Jones gave Virginia Tech fits, as that kid can play hard and tough. The Hokies graduated and lost some of the best offensive players in the ACC, but the defense comes back loaded up with talent. And defense wins games!

The ACC is contending to come off a 2016 season that saw the conference at #1 of the Power 5 conferences. Clemson won that national title and Lamar Jackson of Louisville won the Heisman Trophy. What are the odds that the ACC will maintain its spot at the top?

And looking at the schedule can Lamar Jackson play enough to be in the Heisman race again? A lot of talk on these 2 topics was that Louisville only has 4 returning starters on offense. Jackson will have to groom some new talent to keep those stats up.

And Clemson has graduated some of its best talent from the Championship squad. Deshaun Watson at QB, Mike Williams at WR and captain Ben Boulware at linebacker.

I really think the ACC is getting up there with the SEC in terms of football. I love the fact that it's a very competitive, National Championship worthy, league. I will be cheering my Hokies on like usual, but it will be interesting to see how the offense performs this year.

I'm right up there with you Mr. Skins!

The defense should be good again as the secondary is going to be the best in the ACC; possibly in the country! The 2 Edmunds boys from Dan River, Brandon Facyson and Greg Stroman. 2 of them (Tremaine Edmunds and Greg Stroman) have been nominated for a pair of the defensive player of the year trophies.

And this morning at the 2nd day of the ACC Media Conference Andrew Motuapaka brought the lunch pail to the podium. Bud Foster always brings the best to battle. Our guys are ready to go to work.

Normally I don't watch college football but I think I will watch the ACC this year just so I can hang out with you guys. I don't have a favorite team yet but I'll pick one soon.

Normally I don't watch college football but I think I will watch the ACC this year just so I can hang out with you guys. I don't have a favorite team yet but I'll pick one soon.

May I suggest my avatar! lol

May I suggest my avatar! lol

I give a STRONG 2nd to Riggins statement!

You want a program in Virginia that THRIVES on a winning tradition, and has one of the best homefield advantages in the country then coming to Blacksburg, Virginia- home of the Hokies of Virginia Tech.

We win. We've beaten the other in-state schools the past 13 seasons in a row. And last year we beat the wahoos 52-10 its not even that competitive anymore.

Hokies bring the lunchpail attitude and stand by it. We don't just play the game, we go to work!

the chokies? really? i respect your right to pull for them,they aint that tough at home.i think FSU is gonna win the acc and make the playoffs this year.i bet they give bama  a good game or beat them week 1.

Nothing bad about a team that was is a bowl debate with a new head coach going on to demolish North Carolina at their house, beating Miami by double-digits, laughing down UVA for the 13th time in a row, and making it to the ACC Championship game!

I think FSU will take it to Alabama in the opener in a close game. The best thing about that game is that it will give a good preview of the college football playoff, because even the losing team in that game can still make go all the way! My outside prediction: Criminoles 24 Alabama 20

Overall in the ACC I think there is so much up in the air on the Coastal side. I can't predict a clear winner, but I think that squad mentioned above takes it all this season. 

UVA fans don't really have a leg to stand on when insulting the Hokies. The Hokies have owned them for how many years now? And at least the Hokies have been bowl eligible for almost every season for the past several years. They just need to recruit a good quarterback whose willing to stay through his senior year, and you'll probably see the Hokies mentioned among teams good enough for a National Title. It will happen for Tech, and I think it will happen sooner as opposed to later.

Virginia Tech has gone to a bowl every season since 1993.

Virginia Tech has beaten UVa 13 seasons in a row. Including last year in Blacksburg when the Hokies won 52-10.   

Glad to see us playing West Virginia again this season. First rivalry game that will actually be competitive in quite awhile!