Sign in to follow this  
Martinsville Daily

Netflix

Take ballgames off the table and 90% of my TV viewing happens within Netflix. Best value out there for me. How about you?

By the way... think those star ratings represent an average of what all Netflix users voted? Think again. This is the official statement:

When you’re looking at movie’s splash page, for example, the corresponding rating you see isn’t a running average of how all Netflix users ranked the film. Rather, the ranking represents what users who have similar entertainment tastes as you thought of the movie. As a result, it’s entirely possible for the same movie to display two different ratings for two different accounts.

Yes definitely best value,those ratings are all over the place.Now that I know that,I am not going to pay attention to them and just go to the IMDB site for ratings.

Me too. The thing that screws that whole strategy up is something similar to our household... we have a niece or two that come by the house from time to time. They watch TV - mostly Netflix. Next time I check in Netflix has selected a whole library of frilly shows a 20ish female would want to see. Then the weekend comes and my wife keeps her brother's little girl - now 4. She watches Netflix - cartoon shows and animated movies. Add that to the mix and I have to drill down a bit to find my stuff. If Netflix's "brain" is trying to rate it's stuff based on what it looks like I like - all my stuff is going to rate low!

Since you guys dangled Longmire in front of me and I joined Netflix, I rarely watch anything else. Crossing Lines has been a real treat and I have started Crown (young Elizabeth II), Fauda (Israeli terroist hunter), and Jack Taylor (alcoholic Irish PI in Galway). House of Cards was high on my list when I started, but I only have so much time for TV. lol

The wife and are are currently watching Blacklist on Netflix , first couple seasons that is. What a great show. We didn't give it a chance when it first aired a couple years ago on one of the Network channels but my daughter made us watch the first couple episodes of season 1 and we were hooked. I think they have over 20 episodes per season so its been a ride so far.

Since you guys dangled Longmire in front of me and I joined Netflix' date=' I rarely watch anything else. Crossing Lines has been a real treat and I have started Crown (young Elizabeth II), Fauda (Israeli terroist hunter), and Jack Taylor (alcoholic Irish PI in Galway). House of Cards was high on my list when I started, but I only have so much time for TV. lol[/quote']

I liked Jack Taylor. Will have to check out Fauda. Hadn't heard of that one.

I liked Jack Taylor. Will have to check out Fauda. Hadn't heard of that one.

I would be interested in any other suggestions you have since I am a newbie.

In case you haven't seen them already,Breaking Bad and Sons of Anarchy are 2 of the best series I have ever seen on TV.

In case you haven't seen them already' date='Breaking Bad and Sons of Anarchy are 2 of the best series I have ever seen on TV.[/quote']

I agree completely. I watched SOA from the beginning, but caught reruns of season 1 for Breaking Bad and I was hooked for the rest of the series.

I have been watching a really good series, "Nobel," which is a Norwegian production about the interplay of domestic politics and Special Ops soldiers who were part of the NATO contingent in Afghanistan. It shifts between locations in each episode as it builds the story line. On the other hand, Fauda has been a disappointment. The Israeli team is presented as amateurish and inept. I assume that is supposed to add to the human drama, but it's really off-putting.

Any you space nuts watched Firefly? Lol,It's a one season series that for some reason did not continue but I think it's great.

Any you space nuts watched Firefly? Lol' date='It's a one season series that for some reason did not continue but I think it's great.[/quote']

I watched the original and really enjoyed it. Dedicated followers were rewarded with a movie a few years later, Serenity. Unfortunately, it didn't bring the series back. I wonder if the movie is also on Netflix?

I watched the original and really enjoyed it. Dedicated followers were rewarded with a movie a few years later' date=' [i']Serenity[/i]. Unfortunately, it didn't bring the series back. I wonder if the movie is also on Netflix?

I think it is,I will check cause I want to see the movie as soon as I finish the series.

The French series, Spiral, reminds me somewhat of The Wire, although the focus remains on the same characters in each season, so far. I am into the second of four seasons. It is unblinking where dead bodies are concerned, but always in the story context. The differences between the French legal system and our own adds an interesting element to the story.

Henning Mankell is a great Swedish crime novelist. His books can be found in the Blue Ridge Regional Library system. Netflix has two different versions of his novels available. The Swedish version with English subtitles is Henning Mankells' Wallander. The English language series, Wallander, was produced in the UK and shown on PBS's Masterpiece Mystery starring no less than Kenneth Branagh. The UK series has Wallander as a tortured, miserable man albeit a master detective. The Swedish series, each episode of short movie length, presents a taciturn man with less obvious angst. I watched the PBS series on its original schedule, but its concluding episodes were shown a year or so ago. I am watching the Swedish series now. It moves at a somewhat slower pace than most US series, but I prefer it to the UK version. I have great admiration for Kenneth Branagh, but the Swedish version is more appealing in human terms and, I think, presents a more authentic version of the novels.

I have one minor complaint. I think the music is awful. Tense moments in the story are disrupted with a screeching cello that I find off-putting, but that's just me. For the most part I think its great.

I really have to thank you guys for talking about Longmire because I would never have subscribed to Netflix otherwise. BTW, does anyone know when or if there is going to be another season of Longmire?

Longmire should be back this year I would hope.I am watching Shamless on Netflix now.Great show about a dysfunctional family.

The Last Kingdom has posted its second season and I am really enjoying it. The series is based on Saxon England during the Viking occupation. King Alfred is the historic king and the hero of the series is the fictional Uhtred of Bebbanburgh (now Bamburgh). The basis for the series are the historical novels of Bernard Cornwall from his Saxon Stories. There is little in the historical record from this period, but Alfred the Great is credited with initiating the Anglo-Saxon Chronicles c. 890 which irregularly recorded events, names, and dates in the England of the period until, and somewhat beyond, the Norman Conquest by William the Conqueror in 1066. Characters and events from the period show up with imaginative fiction added to fill in details. Conrwell himself wrote that the period allows for considerable freedom of imagination. The books are ready-made for development as a TV or movie series.

Both seasons are listed together so you start with Season 1. There are 10 books in the Saxon Tales and counting. The most recent book was published last November.

Cornwell is most famous for his Sharpe series that detailed the career of the Duke of Wellington. That series began with his early career in India, followed him to the Peninsular Campaign (Napoleonic war in Spain) and finally his great victory at Waterloo. PBS showed the video series many years ago. I haven't seen that on Netflix but it's a really good one too.