Sign in to follow this  
Riggins

Nascar 2017

In a surprise move Carl Edwards is stepping away from driving and will not be in the # 19 car this year.They are not officially saying he is retiring but that's the general feeling.Daniel Suarez,the Xfinity Champion,will drive the #19 car this year.It's shocking that anyone in the Gibbs camp would leave on top like that.

NASCAR has announced changes to the points system for the 2017 season for their top 3 divisions. Each race will now be divided into three segments with a caution period at the end of each of the first 2 segments. Points will be awarded to the top driver at the end of each of the first 2 segments.

There will no longer be bonus points for leading a lap or leading the most laps in a race. IMO, NASCAR has figured out that many of their races have become snoozers as race attendance has declined as have TV ratings. This is their answer to try and attract more interest.

http://www.espn.com/racing/nascar/story/_/id/18539884/nascar-changing-point-system-reward-drivers-race

Racing this Saturday Night at Daytona with the CLASH. I'm ready to see some racing. Not sure how all the changes will turn out, especially the new damaged car rules. I hope Monster and NASCAR haven't ruined the sport. but then, I wasn't crazy about the Chase and it has turned out to be just what we needed, In my opinion. either way, I'm ready to hear some engines roar.

Looking forward to the race this weekend as well.No Dale Jr though,ratings might not be so good.I saw where Jr bought his new wife a Vette for Valentines day.lol

Advance Auto Parts Clash got rained out last night. Green flag now sceduled for 11:35 this morning on FS! with TV coverage starting at 11:00 am

Qualifying for the front row of the Daytona 500 starts at 2:00 pm this afternoon on FOX.

The FORDS went up there and busted up that Gibbs train and my man Joey Logano comes out the winner! What a good start for speedweek!

Team Hendrick claims the front row for the Daytona 500. Chase Elliot grabs the pole position while Dale Jr. grabs the outside pole position.

The FORDS went up there and busted up that Gibbs train and my man Joey Logano comes out the winner! What a good start for speedweek!

I really thought the 2 was going to win that race coming to the white off turn 4. Hamlin moved down late to block. I thought it was funny after the race that Kyle was mad at Bowman for racing him and not trying to catch the 22. I think Kyle actually backed up to Bowman on purpose to try to get a push because the 18 was with the 22 out of turn 2

The :Stage" rules certainly did not enhance the racing at Atlanta yesterday. Only thing it did was keep Harvick from putting more cars laps down in the race. the cars are going to space out at all the races except for Daytona and Talladega.

The :Stage" rules certainly did not enhance the racing at Atlanta yesterday. Only thing it did was keep Harvick from putting more cars laps down in the race. the cars are going to space out at all the races except for Daytona and Talladega.

Yeah I agree,the stage stuff didn't really accomplish anything but slowing the race down at Daytona but definitely made for better racing at Atlanta.I think they will change some things like maybe giving them a couple more minutes for repairs.

In 2018 Las Vegas will be getting a 2nd Cup Series race. The loser will be the Fall race in New Hampshire as Speedway Motorsports announced the switch yesterday. Las Vegas will now be the 2nd race in the Cup Series playoffs.

NASCAR cancelled qualifying this afternoon even after the rains had passed through the area. I thought the Speedway had a new lighting system. They could have cut the lights on and ran qualifying this evening. I bet that would have drawn a huge crowd.

The reason qualifying was cancelled was also do to Lightning in the area and they have to wait for a long time to allow people back in the stands.

I heard it was because the "Crab Thief" (http://martinsvilledaily.com/2017/03/31/crab-thief-on-the-loose/) and the Walmart Arsonists (http://www.wdbj7.com/content/news/Person-sets-items-on-fire-at-Collinsville-Wal-Mart-417842923.html) were seen trying to smuggle Jesse Jones weenies (http://nascar.nbcsports.com/2015/03/18/breaking-iconic-jesse-jones-hot-dogs-are-out-at-martinsville-speedway-replaced-by-another-brand/) into the speedway confines. Apparently they would have succeeded if not for the campers that pelted them with chicken bones and empty beer cans. Better to shut it down than let something like that get out.

One thing about stealing food,it's pretty easy to get rid of the evidence.Honestly has the track been hurt by not selling those JJ weanies?

One thing about stealing food' date='it's pretty easy to get rid of the evidence.Honestly has the track been hurt by not selling those JJ weanies?[/quote']

No way. Forgotten memory I'm sure. Richard Petty said he has two hot dogs everyday while he's here.

Just like the Ridgeway clock they give away. Used to be made within site of the speedway. Still give the clock away, but it's made in Wisconsin. And of course the speedway itself has no local ownership anymore. As John Prine and Chip Taylor say "It's the Way of it."

Lot of empty seats at the track yesterday even though the weather was sunny and 70 degrees.

i have noticed in recent years it seems like the fall race gets a larger crowd due to the chase. it's my belief the speedway didn't sell as many advanced tickets for this race as in years past. there was a very healthy walk up crowd. as someone who has sold tickets on race day this year and years past, this was the easiest time i had selling race tickets. i had people from Christiansburg, roanoke, and lynchburg texting me race morning around 11 am looking for tickets begging me to hold them for them. i attended both the cup race and the truck race and had a good time at each. both are easily in the top-4 single day attended events in henry county, and this year the Valley Star 300 may enter the top-3 as it will be held at night. There is a ton of buzz in the short track racing community about that. a lot of people i met and talked to this weekend will be attending that race for the first time this year.

keep in mind the sport is in a transition period with the mega stars of stewart and gordon retiring. Other stars like Bobby Labonte, Carl Edward, michael waltrip, and greg biffle have either lost their rides or retired. 3 of the top 10 most popular drivers as little as 1-1/2 years ago are no longer racing. a lot of their fans are in limbo with whom to cheer for. JR is back this year, but running mediocre at best in 25th in points. Super teams Gibbs and Hendrick are winless in the first 6 races since 1994. as a former gordon fan, i find myself wanting to pull for larson. still waiting to see how that plays out.

Considering that Matt Kenseth, Jimmie Johnson and Dale Earnhardt Jr. are all in their 40's you start wondering how much longer they will continue driving. NASCAR hasn't recovered from the retirements of Gordon, Stewart and Edwards.